Deer Industry New Zealand works closely with Primary ITO to offer deer courses for those that are interested in up-skilling themselves in deer farming.
The current course being offered is:
New Zealand Certificate in Agriculture (Livestock Husbandry) (Deer) (Level 3)
On completion of the course learners will be able to:
- Understand deer reproductive processes and practices
- Assist with key on-farm tasks associated with mating and mating management
- Assist with tasks associated with calving/fawning
- Understand the principles of deer selection and culling
- Understand deer anatomy, physiology and behaviour
- Assist with recognition and treatment of relevant health issues relating to deer
- Assist with implementation of prevention programmes for deer health
- Understand biosecurity issues relating to deer
- Assist with rearing of young stock from birth until first mating, weaning, sale or slaughter
The course runs for 4 days in total -2 lots of 2 day sessions. First two days in class and on farm, then with a month or two break and then another 2 days in class and on farm.
Course costs $400incl gst.
Talk to Deer Industry NZ about sponsorship assistance with course fees.
For more information about these courses contact Primary ITO and speak with Rachael Handy, Regional Coordinator on 0800 20 80 20, email@example.com
Alternatively email firstname.lastname@example.org to speak with a Deer Industry New Zealand staff member about the options and upcoming courses.